Under the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991, people working or supervising works in the road or highway, must prove they are competent. This means workers may need to hold Street Works qualifications and be registered on the Street Works Qualifications Register (SWQR).
Courses are available for Operatives and Supervisors. There are different courses for the jobs that are carried out on site and any combination of these can be chosen to reflect the job.
- Location and avoidance of underground apparatus
- Signing, lighting and guarding
- Excavation in the road/highway
- Excavation, backfilling and reinstatement – cold lay
- Reinstatement – hot and cold lay bituminous materials
- Reinstatement of modular surfaces and concrete footways
- Monitor location and avoidance of underground apparatus
- Monitor signing, lighting and guarding
- Monitor excavation in the road/highway
- Monitor excavation, backfilling and reinstatement – cold lay
- Monitor reinstatement – hot and cold lay bituminous materials
- Monitor reinstatement of modular surfaces and concrete footways
Duration & Location
Duration – The length of the course depends on the routes chosen. As a guideline, courses are usually between 1 and 5 days.
Location – The training centre is based in Coppull (PR7 4ND).
Those who successfully complete the course will receive a certificate from a recognised awarding organisation: SQA.
Once the course is successfully completed, the appropriate SWQR Card can be applied for.